Arlington Heights Fire responds to approximately 10,000 calls for emergency service each year with a staff of 108 personnel operating from four fire stations which are staffed 24 hours a day/365 days a year. These stations house six fire engines, two ladder towers, six ambulances and four specialty/rescue squads. The department’s training division is responsible for ongoing training of all personnel and provides state-certified basic, advanced and officer fire training. The department is one of the very few that maintains its own state-of-the-art training site and advanced burn building, providing Firefighters with the opportunity to train in realistic fire and rescue simulations.
All Firefighters are certified as Emergency Medical Technicians and more than half are state-certified Paramedics. Nearly a third also serve on one or more of the department’s four specialty teams – Hazardous Materials, Dive Rescue, Technical Rescue and Fire Investigation. The department provides a myriad of public education services, with fire safety classes, presentations and tours available year round. In addition, through the ongoing Katie Project, smoke detector/battery replacement is provided for residents needing assistance with this live-saving device.
The Village of Arlington Heights organized a volunteer Fire Department on October 8, 1894 which had 40 members by the end of that year. The last volunteer firefighters retired from service on April 16, 1973. In the first twenty years of the volunteer system, the Department responded to forty alarms. In the year 2013, the Arlington Heights Fire Department responded to nearly 10,000 calls. The Village of Arlington Heights hired its first four full-time firefighters on April 28, 1957. Currently the Department has 108 shift personnel and six staff positions. Shift personnel work 24 hours at a time in three different shifts.